Since its inception, Guzman Ariza has been committed to the communities where it practices, continuously working with various non-profit organizations, including the following:
• The Dominican Rehabilitation Association (Asociación Dominicana de Rehabilitación), an organization that provides comprehensive rehabilitation to persons with physical and intellectual disabilities. Dr. Julio Alberto Brea Guzman, resident partner in our Sosúa office, is the president of the Sosúa subsidiary of the non-profit.
• Fundación Guzmán Ariza Pro Academia de la Lengua, an organization founded in 2009 by our name partner, Fabio J. Guzmán Ariza, to sponsor the activities of the Dominican Academy of Letters and to promote proper language usage in legal documents and the Dominican media. In 2013, the Foundation financed the publication of the first comprehensive dictionary of Dominican Spanish (Diccionario del español dominicano), and, in 2016, that of the first dictionary of Dominican phrases (Diccionario fraseológico del español dominicano). The Foundation has also collaborated with the Supreme Court of the Dominican Republic and the Constitutional Court in promoting better practices in legal drafting. In July 2016, the Foundation opened the first chapter in the Americas of the Fundación del Español Urgente (Fundéu Guzmán Ariza) to encourage correct Spanish usage in the media.
• The DREAM Project (Dominican Republic Education and Mentoring Project) is a nonprofit organization that, since 1999, has been committed to providing equitable access to quality education for children born into poverty in rural areas and small communities of the Dominican Republic. Since 2004, Guzmán Ariza has sponsored the Guzmán Ariza Summer Camp and School, where every year poor Dominican children attend a program designed to keep them at school, offering them individualized academic tutoring, extracurricular activities, and alternative sources of education that instill life and job skills.
• The Mariposa DR Foundation, whose mission is inspired by the United Nations Millennium Development Goals. These goals include promoting gender equality and empowering women. Milagros de la Cruz, an attorney with the firm, is a member of the board of directors of the foundation.
• The Mahatma Gandhi Foundation, an organization that promotes community development in Las Terrenas. Our office in Las Terrenas provides financial support to the organization and collaborates in the activities organized by the Foundation.
• The Samaná Smiles Foundation (Fundación Sonrisas Samaná), a non-profit that provides financial support to poor children needing medical care.
• The Dominican Boxing Federation (Federación Dominicana de Boxeo), an organization that contributes to the strengthening of amateur boxing in the country. Partner Ruben Garcia is vice president of the Federation and chairs its subsidiary in San Francisco de Macoris, where, for decades, he has provided financial support to promising young boxers.